The unique UK based contemporary art prize for Finnish artists emerging on the international scene, returns to Beaconsfield Gallery Vauxhall in association with the Finnish Institute in London. For 2020 Below Zero offers a substantial production prize worth up to £15,000.
The prize offers a platform for a London residency and a new commission mentored by Beaconsfield, thereby fostering positive relations and creating new opportunities for intellectual cross-fertilisation between Finland and the UK.
Below Zero is open to Finnish artists who have studied to degree level, either in Finland or the UK, and may be resident anywhere in the world. The selection committee will focus on artists who have not previously won a prize (this does not include bursaries or educational grants) and who would benefit from a major UK commission.
- 10 May 2019: general application portal opens
- 1 August: submission deadline for open call proposals (deadline extended to Sunday 4th August at midnight Finnish Time)
- 10 August: shortlist announced to develop a full proposal
- 15 September: submission deadline for shortlist proposals
- 1-11 October: shortlisted artists interviewed and Below Zero 2020 winner announced
- January – March 2020: residency & exhibition in London
The Selection Process
Artists are invited to submit an initial, digital proposal, not more than 1000 words in length, in response to the theme Resilient Futures: together with a CV and up to twelve visual components that may include still images, video or audio-works.
The 2020 selection committee includes representatives of the The Finnish Institute in London, Beaconsfield, independent London based curator Hannele Tilles and the Finnish curator, researcher and writer Taru Elfving.
The Application Portal is now open